State Superintendent Tony Thurmond Announces Model Continuation High Schools for 2022
California Department of Education News Release
SACRAMENTO — State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond announced today that 36 schools throughout the state were recognized as Model Continuation High Schools (MCHS) for 2022.
“These model schools provide invaluable resources and academic opportunities to our high-needs students, who often are dealing with difficult life events,” said Thurmond. “Students reap the benefits of social and emotional learning, mentorship programs, student wellness, and restorative justice practices, among other exemplary methods. The efforts of teachers and administrators at our Model Continuation High Schools provide students with the social support, goal-setting, and coping skills that they need to succeed in the academic setting and in their lives after high school.”
Each of the schools honored offer various opportunities for their students to pursue academic and social success. For example:
- Adelante High School in Roseville strives to support the whole child, not just the academic side. This is evidenced by the various opportunities that students have to gain job/career skills and experience and interventions that attend to the students’ social-emotional well-being.
- El Camino Real Continuation High School in Placentia provides social support and realistic planning and coping skills, factors essential for helping build resilience which, in turn, fosters an environment of learning and life management. An emphasis on student wellness can be found on campus via a wellness team, professional development centered on trauma-informed practices, and various wellness centers on campus.
- Lorin Griset Academy in Santa Ana is dedicated to ensuring that all students receive the best personalized education possible and focuses on breaking students into small groups, which allows students more time to critically think, analyze, and evaluate content with their classmates. Teachers incorporate gallery walks, jigsaws, and breakout rooms to allow students to strengthen their social skills in the academic setting.
- Slover Mountain High School in Colton works to ensure that each one of their students is on track academically and has access to all courses and levels needed to graduate. Another focus is the social and emotional well-being of their students.
There are more than 430 continuation high schools that serve close to 78,000 students throughout the state. Continuation schools provide a high school diploma program for students ages 16 through 18 who have not graduated from high school, are required to attend school, and are at risk of not completing their education.
The MCHS were selected based on a comprehensive application process that included submission of detailed narrative statements describing specific aspects of school operations and how these were exemplary and the use of assessment tools and data to support continuous improvement. The process included a peer review panel and on-site visit.
The MCHS Recognition Program is a collaborative partnership between the California Department of Education (CDE) and the California Continuation Education Association Plus (CCEA Plus). The program honors continuation high schools for the comprehensive services they provide at-risk youth through instructional strategies, flexible scheduling, guidance, and counseling. Not only does this involve operating and supporting their own exemplary program, but MCHS-recognized educators make a commitment to support and mentor their peers in other local educational agencies.
The 36 schools selected as MCHS retain their designation for three years and will be recognized at the CCEA Plus 2022 State Conference. in Long Beach, California, on May 5–8, 2022. For more information about continuation education, please visit the CDE Continuation Education web page.
2022 Model Continuation High Schools
- Abraham Lincoln Continuation High School, 4341 Victoria Avenue, Riverside, CA, 92507-5009 — Phone: 951-788-7371 | Hector Valdez, Principal
- Adelante High School, 350 Atlantic Street, Roseville, CA, 95678-1849 — Phone: 916-782-3155 | Sybil Healy, Principal
- Allan F. Daily High School, 220 North Kenwood, Glendale, CA, 91206-4209 — Phone: 818-247-4805 | Lonny Root, Principal
- Alta Vista High School, 1325 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View, CA, 94040-4527 — Phone: 650-691-2433 | Bill Pierce, Principal
- Apollo High School, 3150 School Street, Simi Valley, CA, 93065-3998 — Phone: 805-520-6150 | Dean May, Principal
- Brea Canyon High School, 689 North Wildcat Way, Brea, CA, 92821-7400 — Phone: 714-990-7882 | Kristin Risberg, Principal
- Capistrano Union High School, 31422 Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano, CA, 92675-2600 — Phone: 949-489-7216 | Brittany Casey, Principal
- Columbus High School, 12330 Woodruff Avenue, Downey, CA, 90241-5610 — Phone: 562-904-3552 | Xochitl Ortiz, Principal
- Conejo Valley High School, 1400 East Janss Road, Thousand Oaks, CA, 91362-2198 — Phone: 805-498-6646 | Martin Manzer, Principal
- El Camino High School, 14640 Mercado Avenue, La Mirada, CA, 90638-4210 — Phone: 562-210-2700 | Mark Hunter, Principal
- El Camino Real Continuation High School, 1351 East Orangethorpe Avenue, Placentia, CA, 92870-5302 — Phone: 714-986-7060 | Carey Aiello, Principal
- El Puente High School, 1691 Saipan Avenue, Firebaugh, CA, 93622-2465 — Phone: 559-659-3899 | Terry Anderson, Principal
- John H. Milor High School, 266 West Randall, Rialto, CA, 92376-6926 — Phone: 909-820-8110 | Kyla Griffin, Principal
- Kings River High School, 1801 Seventh Street, Sanger, CA, 93657-2895 — Phone: 559-524-6490 | Jon Tillotson, Principal
- Lee V. Pollard High School, 185 Magnolia Avenue, Corona, CA, 92879-3329 — Phone: 951-736-3367 | Michael Ridgway, Principal
- Lorin Griset Academy, 1915 West McFadden, Santa Ana, CA, 92704-2902 — Phone: 714-648-2900 | Michael Parra, Principal
- Maple High School, 4010 Jupiter Avenue, Lompoc, CA, 93436-1819 — Phone: 805-742-3150 | Laurel Ciervo, Principal
- March Mountain High School, 24551 Dracaea Avenue, Moreno Valley, CA, 92553-3745 — Phone: 951-571-4800 | Steve Quintero, Principal
- Marie L. Hare Continuation High School, 12012 Magnolia Street, Garden Grove, CA, 92841-1644 — Phone: 714-663-6508 | Lydia Machado, Principal
- Mount Toro High School, 10 Sherwood Place, Salinas, CA, 93906-4010 — Phone: 831-796-7700 | Gloria Chaidez, Principal
- Nueva Continuation High School, 8600 Palm Avenue, Lamont, CA, 93241-2212 — Phone: 661-845-1532 | Rocio Cantu, Administrator
- Nueva Vista Continuation High School, 6836 34th Street, Jurupa Valley, CA, 92509-1301 — Phone: 951-360-2802 | Jorge Galvan, Principal
- Pacific High School, 501 College Drive, Ventura, CA, 93003-3413 — Phone: 805-289-7950 | Deidre Monarres, Principal
- Paloma Creek High School, 10801 El Camino Real, Atascadero, CA, 93422-8867 — Phone: 805-462-4350 | Elisabeth Madding, Principal
- Redwood High School, 1968 Old County Road, Redwood City, CA, 94063-1073 — Phone: 650-369-1411 | Stephanie Ogden, Principal
- R.K. Lloyde High School, 4951 Marine Avenue, Lawndale, CA, 90260-1251 — Phone: 310-263-3264 | Benjamin Wardrop, Principal
- Ruben Salazar High School, 9115 Balfour Street, Pico Rivera, CA, 90660-3225 — Phone: 562-801-7680 | Zan Mason, Principal
- San Antonio High School, 125 West San Jose Avenue, Claremont, CA, 91711-5205 — Phone: 909-398-0316 | Felipe Delvasto, Coordinator, Alternative Education
- San Joaquin Valley High School, 900 Newmark Avenue, Parlier, CA, 93648-2034 — Phone: 559-646-2723 | Israel Almendarez, Principal
- Slover Mountain High School, 325 Hermosa Street, Colton, CA, 92324-1901 — Phone: 909-580-5013 | Tiffany Hampton, Principal
- Somerset High School, 9242 East Laurel Street, Bellflower, CA, 90706-7607 — Phone: 562-804-6548 | Cliff Higgins, Principal
- Travis Education Center, 2775 DeRonde Drive, Fairfield, CA, 94533-9710 — Phone: 707-437-8265 | Janelle Preston, Principal
- Valley Alternative, 15430 Shadybend Drive, Hacienda Heights, CA, 91745-2121 — Phone: 626-933-3401 | Joaquin Martinez, Principal
- Valley Vista High School, 9600 Dolphin Street, Fountain Valley, CA, 92708-4603 — Phone: 714-964-7766 | Jessie Marion, Principal
- Vista West High School, 7115 Rosedale Highway, Bakersfield, CA, 93308-5845 — Phone: 661-589-4242 | Michael Mullings, Administrator
- Wasco Independence High School, 1445 Poso Drive, Wasco, CA, 93280-2353 — Phone: 661-758-7450 | Rusvel Prado, Principal
Looking to Apply?
The “Intent to Submit” form for prospective Model Schools is usually due in the summer each year. So, to become a Model School for 2023, you must submit your intent during Summer 2022 to begin the application process. For more details, click here. The new application will be posted some time in the late spring / early summer, along with the deadlines.Learn More
Tony Thurmond — State Superintendent of Public Instruction
Communications Division, Room 5602, 916-319-0818, Fax 916-319-0100
Last updated: February 10, 2022
E-mail: communications (at) cde.ca.gov