State Superintendent Tony Thurmond Announces Model Continuation High Schools for 2020
California Department of Education News Release
SACRAMENTO — State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond announced today that 43 schools throughout the state were recognized as Model Continuation High Schools (MCHS) for 2020.
“This recognition is a testament to the hard work, dedication, and determination of the teachers, school staff, and administrators who are helping these students to thrive personally and academically,” said Thurmond. “With the right guidance, encouragement, and support, students in continuation high schools can access the same career and college opportunities after graduation as their peers in traditional school settings. These model schools give students a chance to not only succeed in high school but in life.”
Each of the schools honored offer various opportunities for their students to pursue academic and social success. For example:
- Central Valley High School in Shafter has increased the school’s graduation rate by 17.9 percent. The average daily attendance rate increased from 72 percent to 84 percent while the suspension rate decreased by 15.5 percent.
- Amistad High School in Indio has created a college-ready culture at its school by cultivating strong partnerships with community colleges. Students can visit local colleges, receive assistance with financial aid, and earn college credits while still in high school through dual enrollment opportunities.
- Donald C. Jamison Continuation High School in Lemoore has cultivated a supportive learning environment where each student’s academic and social-emotional needs are met. Students learn real-world business and entrepreneurial skills through an innovative screen print program, and a leadership class teaches civic and community engagement through partnerships with organizations like the Special Olympics.
Continuation schools provide a high school diploma program for students ages sixteen through eighteen who have not graduated from high school, are required to attend school, and are at risk of not completing their education.
The MCHS were selected based on a comprehensive and competitive application process that involved assessments and data. The process included a peer review panel and on-site visit.
The MCHS Recognition Program is a collaborative partnership between the California Department of Education (CDE) and the California Continuation Education Association (CCEA). The program honors continuation high schools for the comprehensive services they provide at-risk youth through instructional strategies, flexible scheduling, guidance, and counseling.
The 43 schools selected as MCHS retain their designation for three years and will be recognized at the 2020 CCEA State Conference in San Diego on May 1–3, 2020. For more information, please visit the CDE Continuation Education web page or the CCEA website.
2020 Model Continuation High Schools
- Abraxas High School, 12450 Glenoak Road, Poway, CA 92064-3299 : Alain Henry, Principal — Phone: 858-748-5900
- Alessandro High School, 831 East Devonshire Avenue, Hemet, CA 92543-3052 : Tara O’Malley, Principal — Phone: 951-765-5182
- Amistad High School, 83-501 Dillon Avenue, Indio, CA 92201-3325 : David Gustafson, Principal — Phone: 760-775-3570
- Black Diamond High School, 1131 Stoneman Avenue, Pittsburg, CA 94565-5466 : Brian Wilson, Principal — Phone: 925-473-4480
- Black Rock High School, 59273 Sunnyslope, Yucca Valley, CA 92284-5996 : Jennifer Sands, Principal — Phone: 760-369-6310
- Boynton High School, 901 Boynton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95117-2006 : Sarah Thomas, Principal — Phone: 408-626-3404
- Broadway High School, 4825 Speak Lane, San Jose, CA 95118-3769 : Giovanni Bui, Principal — Phone: 408-535-6285
- Buena Vista High School, 3717 Michelson Street, Lakewood, CA 90712-1402 : Morrie Kosareff, Principal — Phone: 562-602-8090
- Central Continuation High School, 716 East 14th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90021-2114 : Helene Cameron, Principal — Phone: 213-745-1901
- Central Valley High School, 526 Mannel Avenue, Shafter, CA 93263-1810 : Michael Akey, Site Administrator — Phone: 661-746-4281
- Citrus High School, 261 East Mulberry Avenue, Porterville, CA 93257-4822 : Scott Braden, Principal — Phone: 559-782-7130
- Desert Valley High School, 104 West Magnolia Street, Brawley, CA 92227-1583 : Antonio Munguia, Principal — Phone: 760-312-5100
- Discovery High School, 3401 Fong Ranch Road, Sacramento, CA 95834-1797 : Keven MacDonald, Principal — Phone: 916-928-5200
- Donald C. Jamison Continuation High School, 351 East Bush Street, Lemoore, CA 93245-3601 : Valerie Botelho, Principal — Phone: 559-924-6620
- Fairvalley High School, 758 West Grondahl Street, Covina, CA 91722-2065 : Dana Craig, Principal — Phone: 626-974-4800
- Frontier High School, 545 Airport Way, Camarillo, CA 93010-8581 : Christina Mahone, Principal — Phone: 805-389-6450
- Garfield High School, 1255 16th Street, San Diego, CA 92101-4759 : Jolie Pickett, Principal — Phone: 619-362-4500
- Gilbert High School, 1800 Ball Road, Anaheim, CA 92804-5516 : Katrina Callaway, Coordinator — Phone: 714-999-3738
- Glen View High School, 939 East Tenth Street, Beaumont, CA 92223-1927 : Benisha Carr, Principal — Phone: 951-769-8424
- Heartland Alternative Education High School, 2269 Sylvia Street, Selma, CA 93662-3488 : Drew Sylvia, Director — Phone: 559-898-6670
- Hillside High School, 1558 West Ninth Street, Upland, CA 91786-5636 : Jerry Adams, Principal — Phone: 909-949-8400
- Jereann Bowman High School, 21508 Centre Pointe Parkway, Santa Clarita, CA 91350-2947 : Eran Zeevi, Principal — Phone: 661-253-4400
- Kaweah High School, 1107 E Rocky Hill Drive, Exeter, CA 93221-1307 : Darin Pace, Principal — Phone: 559-592-4420
- Kurt T. Shery High School, 2600 Vine Street, Torrance, CA 90501-4330 : Jamie Jimenez, Principal — Phone: 310-533-4440
- North Park Continuation High School, 4600 Bogart Avenue, Baldwin Park, CA 91706-2703 : Anthony Ippolito, Principal — 626-337-4407
- Orangewood High School, 515 Texas Street, Redlands, CA 92374-3071 : Carol Ruhm, Principal — Phone: 909-307-5380
- Ortega High School, 520 Chaney Street, Building 100, Lake Elsinore, CA 92530-1230 : Greg Cleave, Principal — Phone: 951-253-7065
- Owensmouth High School, 6921 Jordan Avenue, Canoga Park, CA 91303-1997 : Gerardo Cervantes, Principal — Phone: 818-340-7663
- Pershing Continuation High School, 855 West Nielsen, Fresno, CA 93706-1700 : Nick Hustedde, Principal — Phone: 559-268-2272
- Renaissance High School, 333 North Palm Avenue, Santa Paula, CA 93060 : Robin Gillette, Principal — Phone: 805-525-4407
- Richland Continuation High School, 615 North Lemon Street, Orange, CA 92867-6611 : Maureen Eckholdt, Principal — Phone: 714-997-6167
- Robertson High School, 4455 Seneca Park Avenue, Fremont, CA 94538-4028 : Salvador Herrera, Principal — Phone: 510-657-9155
- Rose City High School, 351 South Hudson Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91101-3507 : Brian Stanley, Principal — Phone: 626-396-5620
- Santana High School, 341 South La Seda Road, La Puente, CA 91744-5980 : Gregory Perez, Principal — Phone: 626-965-5971
- Sierra Continuation High School, 11661 Donner Pass Road, Truckee, CA 96161-4953 : Greg Wohlman, Principal — Phone: 530-582-2640
- Silverado High School, 25632 Peter A. Hartman Way, Mission Viejo, CA 92691-3118 : David Gordon, Principal — Phone: 949-586-8800
- Sunset High School, 2500 Elk Valley Cross Road, Crescent City, CA 95531-8461 : Tony Fabricius, Principal — Phone: 707-464-0380
- Twin Oaks High School, 158 Cassou Road, San Marcos, CA 92069-9702 : Garth Phillips, Principal — Phone: 760-290-2555
- Val Verde High School, 972 West Morgan Street, Perris, CA 92571-3103 : Steve Coelho, Principal — Phone: 951-940-6155
- Valley High School, 410 North Hidden Trails Road, Escondido, CA 92027-5333 : Cory Gregory, Principal — Phone: 760-291-2240
- Valley Oak High School, 1600 Myrtle Avenue, Napa, CA 94558-4743 : Maria Cisneros, Principal — Phone: 707-253-3791
- Vicente Martinez High School, 925 Susana Street, Martinez, CA 94553-3212 : Lori O’Connor, Principal — Phone: 925-335-5880
- Village High School, 4645 Bernal Avenue, Pleasanton, CA 94566-7449 : Dana Chavez, Principal — Phone: 925-426-4260
Looking to Apply?
The “Intent to Submit” form for prospective Model Schools is usually due in the summer each year. So, to become a Model School for 2021, you must submit Summer 2020 to begin the application process. For more details, click here. The new application will be posted some time in the late spring/summer, along with the deadlines.Learn More
Tony Thurmond — State Superintendent of Public Instruction
Communications Division, Room 5602, 916-319-0818, Fax 916-319-0100
Release: #20-09 — CDE press release (direct link)
Updated: February 24, 2020
Contact: Cynthia Butler
E-mail: communications (at) cde.ca.gov